August 11, 2021
With registration for Hoopfest 2021 closed, we are thrilled to STILL be the world’s largest 3on3 basketball tournament. It goes to show the undeniable spirit of Hoopfest! As we turn our full attention to executing the Best Basketball Weekend on Earth, here are some things we would like you to know.
We are 100% planning for a safe, successful, and fun Hoopfest in September, but like any good point guard, our eyes are wide open to all possibilities. We are certainly watching the latest developments with the Delta variant of COVID-19 and paying close attention to air quality with the Air Quality Index (AQI). To that end, our lines of communication with Spokane Regional Health District, the City of Spokane, and MultiCare Health System are wide open.
All signs point to Hoopfest next month, and we could not be more excited!
However, in the spirit of preparation, communication, and candidness, we must scout both ends of the floor. As we plan for the tournament, we must also look at alternatives, specifically if we are not allowed to hold the event and tournament. If local, regional, and state officials ultimately decide that Hoopfest 2021 cannot be played due to COVID-19, we will be implementing the following refund policy.
- If Hoopfest is canceled by authorities due to COVID-19 before the end of day Monday, August 16th, a full team refund will be given, if requested.
- If Hoopfest is canceled by authorities due to COVID-19 after Monday, August 16th, Hoopfest will offer a 20% team refund, if requested.
We realize this is not ideal, but we believe it to be for good and necessary reasons. The last 16 months have been financially very challenging for our small non-profit, including the cancelation of last year’s Hoopfest. If Hoopfest is canceled, we will hope that teams would donate their entry fee as many teams did in 2020. If refunds are requested, we will be very constrained in the final month prior to Hoopfest weekend. While we have incurred many Hoopfest planning expenses to date, in the final weeks before the event we will incur a significant number of tournament costs to be fully ready for Hoopfest. With your understanding and help, we will certainly live to play another day!
All registered teams will be receiving Hoopfest 2021 Official Player Shirts, and Team Captains will receive a Hoopfest basketball. A small token of our appreciation for your continued support.
In addition to the COVID-19 update, we will also be watching the air quality closely. Of course, we will not know the air quality until the day of the event. According to AirNow.gov, the Air Quality Index (AQI) is a 0-500 scale created by the EPA to measure a variety of pollutants in the air. An AQI in the 101-150 range is unhealthy for sensitive groups, while a range of 151-200 is considered unhealthy and the stage at which some members of the general public start to experience health effects.
Since the AQI can shift very quickly, we would plan to postpone gameplay if the AQI hits 151+. On Saturday, if the AQI remains above 151+ for 2+ hours we will look to cancel the day and modify the brackets to provide as many games as possible on Sunday. If Sunday remains above an AQI of 151, we will cancel the tournament.
Refund policy if Hoopfest is canceled:
Due to COVID before 8/17:
- Full team refund, if requested
Due to COVID after 8/17:
- 20% team refund, if requested
- Due to Air Quality or other circumstances: No refund
This letter is not all doom and gloom. As I type this, we are moving full steam ahead towards a great and safe tournament in September, but out of respect for all of you, we want to communicate clearly and early. We encourage you to follow along for all Hoopfest news in the coming weeks. We have heard of some email challenges, so we ask that you ensure that the Spokane Hoopfest domain is approved as a “safe email” in all your inboxes. This will ensure you are getting the latest and greatest news from us. For those of you on social media, please follow @SpokaneHoopfest on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter. Another great source of Hoopfest info will be our brand-new mobile app on Apple and Android that will be available to download later this month.
Collectively, Hoopfest is 1of1 (our theme for this year). There is nothing else like it. We are resilient and we are tough! With all of you, we are the hardest working team in basketball. I am grateful to play the role that I play, and I look forward to seeing all of you in the streets in September.
Just like anything over the past year, these guidelines as of now are just that, a guide! As we move closer to the Best Basketball Weekend on Earth, these guidelines are subject to change. Check out our full updated COVID-19 guidelines below!
- Players and Spectators Outdoors (entire site) – Masks are not required for anyone outdoors but strongly encouraged for anyone that is not fully vaccinated or simply concerned with being around large crowds.
- Players and Spectators Indoors (Team Check-In and Sponsor Garden) – Masks are not required for those that are fully vaccinated. Masks will be required for those that are not fully vaccinated. We will be implementing an honor system so if individuals are not wearing a mask we will assume they are fully vaccinated.
- Players and Spectators Inside Medical Tents – All individuals are required to wear a mask inside the MultiCare medical tents, as they are considered healthcare facilities
- Attestation – each player will sign an area on the scoresheets stating that they have not tested positive for COVID-19 or come in contact with someone that has recently and is not experiencing any COVID-like symptoms.
- Additional hand washing stations will be added throughout the site.
- Hand sanitizer will be readily available throughout the site.
- Symptoms – If anyone is experiencing the below COVID-like symptoms, we ask that you stay home and do not participate in Hoopfest. For those experiencing COVID-like symptoms while at Hoopfest, please seek medical attention at our MultiCare Medical Tent. COVID-19 symptoms include:
- Fever or chills
- Shortness of breath or difficulty breathing
- Muscle or body aches
- Recent loss of taste or smell
- Sore throat
- Nausea or vomiting
- Rapid Testing – We will work with Spokane Regional Health District to provide rapid testing on Hoopfest weekend for those that are experiencing COVID-like symptoms.